Susan Tomelty, one of the finest singers to come out of N. Ireland, hails from Portaferry Co. Down originally and her musical journey has brought her to Dublin, via Drumshanbo Co. Leitrim, England, Scotland, France, Denmark, Sweden, Belfast and Nashville. Susan was the youngest performer on The Cork Opera House at the early age of two. She comes from a well know theatrical and musical family. Her father, Peter Tomelty, was a professional tenor and was the host of the ever popular television series on UTV, "With a fiddle and a flute" which beat Coronation Street ratings. Her uncle Joseph Tomelty, Actor, Play write and writer, starred in many films such like Moby Dick, A Night to Remember, The Time Barrier just to name a few. Frances Tomelty, Joseph's daughter, is a well know established actress and has appeared in many films like The Field and television series. Roma Tomelty, writer and actress runs a Drama School in Belfast. Susan's mum Gertie Wine, comedian and dancer, runs her own dance school in Portaferry.
Television and Radio Highlights
- BBC Scotland – composition used by The Scottish Tourist board to promote Scotland in television advert. 1990.
- T.V. Work:- UTV Kelly Show – performing 'live' 1996
- RTE:- 'A stretch in the evening' – performing 'live'1997
- BBC TV Choice: – The Eleventh Hour programme, with Ralph McLean performing original material. 1998
- BBC Radio Ulster with Frank Galligan, interview, 1999
- Shannonside – The Charlie McGettigan Show, 2002, 2005 ,2006, 2007 and 2008, 2009, performing live.
Other Career highlights include:
- Release of "Belfast Live" which was a project with 14 musicians from N. Ireland which celebrated peace.
- Support for Van Morrison at the first Garden Party, Botanic Gardens, Belfast, 1996.
- Toured Denmark and Sweden over a 4-week period finishing with The Gothenburg Irish Festival, 1997.
- 'Schooled to a Foreign Voice' – play written by Roma Tomelty on the works and life of Louis MacNeice. Sang and acted in this production which did the Belfast Festival at Queens, The Edinburgh Festival and toured Ireland north and south. 1998-2000.
Susan's passion for singing is evident in her performances. She is a very versatile singer, exploring all genres, jazz, soul, rock, and world. But she has an overwhelming love for the Blues. She sings with a heart wrenching soulful sting...oozing energy and tone.
Susan Tomelty Band comprises of Pat Farrell on lead guitar and vocals, Greg Boland on lead guitar, Tommy Moore on bass and vocals and Fran Byrne on drums.